FOUNDATION | EXAMINATION
Drama surrounds us in everyday life, through film, advertising, that burst of imagination when reading a book or script and it is essential that we provide students with a toolkit for understanding and experiencing drama on a deeper level. Through drama, students develop teamwork skills, vocal skills, an understanding of real-world issues and about themselves.
Curriculum & Assessment
Year 9 Options
Choose this subject if...
- you are a student who enjoys being creative, exploring ideas and transposing those ideas into action.
- you have the ability to make decisions and work co-operatively with others.
- you have a love of the theatre and acting.
- you can be an independent learner who is confident to learn from and reflect upon mistakes.
- you want to be able to show that you can express yourself and can remain focused, committed and prepared to succeed no matter what.
Future career / further education options...
A Drama GCSE will help to prepare you for careers in theatre, television and radio, arts administration, stage crew, therapy, teaching, community and social services, retail, hotels, restaurants, law.
|Component 1||Component 2||Component 3|
|Name:||Devising theatre||Performance from a text||Interpreting theatre|
|Assessment:||Non-exam assessment||Non-exam assessment||Exam|
|Weighting:||40% of GCSE||20% of GCSE||40% of GCSE|
Programme of lunchtime and after school rehearsals/clubs which generally includes
- Dance clubs
- Drama clubs
- Musical (every two years)
- Kingsbury’s Got Talent (every other year)
- Brave New World Concert (every other year)
- Practice sessions allow students to practice independently
- GCSE rehearsals
- Performances at whole school events including Year 8 Graduation, Open Evenings and Evenings of Celebration
Projects with external partners (past & present)
- Step Into Dance
- Saracens Rugby Club
- English National Opera
- National Theatre
- Royal Shakespeare Company
- 150 GCSE drama students taken to see War Horse at the National Theatre
- Live Theatre Productions of varying styles – great for our GCSE students as it is a requirement of their course
- Trip to the ENO to meet the backstage team
- Live streaming of Macbeth
- And many more