FOUNDATION | EXAMINATION
Technology is a subject that brings learning to life, requiring learners to apply their knowledge to real-life situations giving them the tools to create the future. Students will be required to use critical thinking, leading towards invention and design innovation, to design and make prototypes that solve real and relevant problems, considering their own and others’ needs, wants and values.
Curriculum & Assessment
Year 9 Options
Choose this subject if...
• you have imagination, flexibility and enjoy experimentation when designing
• you want to communicate design ideas and decisions using different media and techniques
• you want to develop decision-making skills, including the planning and organisation of times and resources
• you want to develop knowledge of materials, components and technologies and practical skills to develop high quality imaginative and functional prototypes both by hand and using the latest Computer Aided Design and manufacturing systems.
Future career / further education options...
Currently there is great interest and need in growing our own skills-based workforce. This includes many areas of the economy that are traditionally associated with the Creative, Engineering, Construction and Manufacturing industries. Design Technology in schools offers real life skills that help to prepare students for the changing world they face when moving into the world of employment.
|Component 1||Component 2|
|Name:||Core technical, specialist technical, designing and making principles||Portfolio and prototype|
|Weighting:||50% of GCSE||50% of GCSE|
Cross-curricular link with STEM based subjects through knowledge and understanding.
- STEM Ambassadors
- Careers Advisors
- Sixth Form Mentors
- Lunch Time Clubs
- After School Intervention
- Subject Specialist Trips
Head of Faculty: Umar Ejaz