Physics A Level
IN THE FIRST YEAR STUDENTS STUDY:
• Practical Skills in Physics
• Foundations of Physics – quantities, units and making measurements
• Forces in Motion – forces in action, Newton’s laws, materials.
• Electrons, waves and photons – current, charge, electric circuits, waves, quantum theory
IN THE SECOND YEAR STUDENTS STUDY ALL AS TOPICS PLUS:
• Thermal Physics
• Circular motion
• Electric, magnetic and gravitational fields
• Nuclear and particle physics
• Medical Imaging
3 written exams: Paper 1 and 2 (2h15m):
Multiple choice and structured questions covering theory and practical skills. Paper 3 (1h30m): Structured questions and extended response covering theory and practical skills.
Pupils will also complete a practical endorsement consisting of 12 assessed practicals. These will not count towards the final grade but will be given a pass/fail.
GCSE Requirement: GCSE: Overall, six GCSEs at Grade 6. A minimum grade 6,6,7 in Triple Sciences or grades 6 and 7 in Combined Sciences. Consider choosing A-Level Mathematics (requires grade 7 in maths) to support your A Level Physics.
Physics is required for many Mechanical, Electrical and Aeronautic engineering degrees. You do not need A level Physics for many Civil or Structural engineering degrees.
See Mr Cumbers, Mr Perini or Mr Osman for more information.