BTEC National IT Extended Certificate
The BTEC Level 3 Extended Certificate is made up of four units being studied over the course of two years; three core units and one optional unit. The three non-examined units are fully comprised of 100% coursework, one of which are carried out under controlled conditions. This course is equivalent to one A Level.
Mandatory units covered in the course
• Unit 1: Information Technology systems
• Unit 2: Creating Systems to Manage Information
• Unit 3: Using Social Media in Business
Optional Units (from which one will be chosen)
• Unit 5: Data Modelling
• Unit 6: Website Development
Students will develop and be encouraged to acquire the following range of knowledge and skills through the study of a broad spectrum of units:
• Evaluative skills: Identify strengths, weaknesses, suggest improvements to existing systems.
• Design and implementation skills: design and creation of certain software, multimedia technologies and knowledge of social media platforms.
• Personal skills: working in teams; discussing problems or issues; leading a team
• Cognitive skills: research skills; problem solving; decision making; planning a project.
Unit 1 is examined and marked externally, Unit 2 is externally set by the examining body and also assessed externally. Unit 3 and the optional Unit from the list above is internally set and also internally assessed.
Overall, five GCSEs minimum grades 4. We require at least GCSE English or GCSE Maths grade 4.
Vocational IT courses require students to be more responsible for their own learning. For example undertake research using a range of sources, ask questions and develop good time management skills to meet coursework deadlines.
Students will need access to an internet connected desktop computer or laptop
See Ms Sanghani or Mr Bhuwa for more detail