FOUNDATION | EXAMINATION | ADVANCED
Computer Science provides an invaluable understanding and practical knowledge of computer systems in a fast changing modern environment. It is a subject where invention and resourcefulness are encouraged and where students are expected to apply the academic principles they have learnt to the understanding of real-world systems. In a competitive market, sound Computing and ICT skills are much sought after and provide students with the skill set that will enable them to work in a vast number of areas.
At Kingsbury High School, we cover the three strands within Computer Science: Digital Literacy, Computer Science and Information Technology. Students learn to develop their skills, knowledge and understanding in the use of ICT and Computer Science, and the curriculum teaches the application of the principles, practices and technologies involved in the collection, storage, manipulation, transmission and presentation of information in its various forms. Students learn how to use various application software, create different digital products, and research, design, create and test their creations for real-life projects. Student develop their computational thinking skills, learn to think rationally and logically by solving programming tasks as well as learning how the insides of a computer work and learning how to program.
Curriculum & Assessment
Year 9 Options
Choose this subject if...
• You like to explore the theoretical side of Computing.
• You can use programming skills to find solutions.
• You have good mathematical skills to solve problems.
Future career / further education options...
This course will provide excellent progression to A-Level Computer Science and on to a degree level course in the areas of computing, engineering and science. It will also provide a sound preparatory basis for studying industry standard IT qualifications as well as providing the knowledge, skills and understanding that a growing number of employers are demanding.
|Paper 1||Paper 2|
|Name:||Principles of Computer Science||Application of Computational Thinking|
|Weighting:||50% of GCSE||50% of GCSE|
- Students in Years 7 and 8 are encouraged to complete the iDEA award - the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award, which, is an international programme that helps students develop and demonstrate their digital, enterprise and employability skills for free online
- Talks and visits to technology companies are arranged for Advanced stage students to gain a deeper understanding of the application of computing and technology concepts in the real world and to help understand apprenticeships.
- We offer “Girls who Code” programming club in Years 7 to 9 to address the gender imbalance in STEM subjects