At KHS, high quality, impartial careers guidance helps students to make informed choices about which courses suit their academic needs and aspirations. They are prepared for the next stage of their education, employment, self-employment or training.
During the Foundation Stage students will:
- Receive a careers guidance interview from the Connexions Officer
- Learn about careers in various disciplines through their subjects. Faculties will be asked to incorporate a series of lessons looking at professions within their fields.
- Understand the changing nature of the working world and the impact of globalisation
- Through Excel days and assemblies, have visiting speakers and alumni who will talk about their journeys to inspire the students.
- Use careers profiling software to look at possible pathways for the future.
- Look at GCSE options available to them.
The aim is to help prepare students for choices for the Examination stage based on a realistic career they want to pursue. The aim will be to help students continue to follow their ambitions and remain aspirational.
Someone will know and someone will help! We're all friendly people!
During the Examination Stage students will:
- Visit Universities/Apprenticeship Schemes/other places of Higher Education/Further Education relating to realistic aspirations
- Plan their journey to achieve their professional aspirations
- Continue to be given careers guidance through the Connexions service which will include another Careers Information Advice and Guidance (CIAG) interview and surgeries
- Be given advice and guidance relating to Post 16 Choices – Sixth Form/Apprenticeships/Employment and Self Employment
- Subjects to revisit Careers in various disciplines through their subjects. Faculties will be asked to incorporate a short series of lessons looking at Professions within their fields.
- Develop the skills to complete application documentation professionally
- Be supported to participate in the National Citizen Scheme prior to Post-16 progression